Salsa Scene Pet Peeves (Part 1)

It's crazy how one day away from your normal routine can throw the ENTIRE rest of the week out of whack! So for all those who have been looking for a new post...here it is! Our Wednesday night salsa jam inspired me to start a series of pet peeves aka. things I find just slightly annoying.  This list is so long, it will take a few posts to get through. And these are all things that I have personally experienced or observed. This list applies to guys and girls...and I'll admit to being guilty of one or two of these at some point in my dancing career :o)

Have some pet peeves of your own? Comments please!

Girl Pet Peeves:

The Over-Styler: You've all seen her: she's been barely dancing a week, her technique is wobbly, but her "styling" is fierce. This chica thinks she is the sh1t because she can "salsa" (this awful misuse of the word deserves its own post!) The over exaggerated hip roll and the "duckface" while staring down the guy just kill me. LMFAO

The Hair Dancer:  Oh my eyeballs! As a lead, I know how it feels to get a eyeball full of ponytail. Ouch. Ladies, hair back and out of the way, please. Not mention you look silly when it gets stuck in your lipgloss and the guy has to break into a shine to give you a chance to pull your hair off your lips.

The I-Just-Stepped-On-You-But-I-Don't-Care Chica: I am mortified when, on the rare occasion, I step on another dancer (and usually because the lead has led me into the path of another dancer...see post below) so I always apologize immediately; and if they look like they are in serious distress, I'll actually stop dancing to see if they're ok. But then there are those that will punch a hole in your foot with their (new) stilettos and not give a rat's ass.


Guy Pet Peeves:

It's All Your Fault: I think I have an abundance of patience for beginner leads. But when guys lead the dance badly, thus causing me to misstep, bump into another dancer, injure myself or whatever, and then look at me like it was my fault...ohhh I just want to high five them in the face with a chair.

The Shiner: Shines provide an excellent break from the dance..to breathe, rest, or throw down to a serious timbale solo. But then there are guys who spend 90% of the song doing shines. Why ask a girl to dance then? The only real partner dancing he does is cross-body lead the girl and then let her go to do another shine. Showoff.

The Advanced Lead: And by this I mean..."let me take this beginner dancer onto the floor and lead her through some complicated patterns complete with triple spins". No! Don't terrorize beginner ladies! Guys, please dance to the level of your partner. She will hate you for life for making her look and feel like a complete dork because you absolutely had to try out that ultra-advanced turn pattern you learned in class this week.


Hope that put a smile on your face! Happy weekend! More to come :o)

Comments

Popular Posts