Practice Makes Perfect? (And A Little Rest, Too!)

One day this summer while sitting at my desk, I decided I wanted to learn to play classical guitar. And, in true Teresa style, I had a shiny new black lacquer Rollins guitar that evening. Because once I decide I want to do something, chances are it's going to happen pretty swiftly. Much the same way this blog came to be.*

I eagerly searched online for a series of technique videos, and found exactly what I needed at www.spanishguitarlesson.org for a $45 lifetime membership fee, I had access to the entire library of videos...perfect! I figure I'll give my cousin Randy Lambert a call in the New Year to seek out some one-on-one time with a real local music legend. Randy is a member of Tempo, one of Bermuda's best "tropical" bands, and is an amazing guitarist and entertainer. Whenever I get something new, I'm a "play first, read the instructions later" person...smile. Much like my father.

Guitar comes very intuitively to me, unlike high school music classes where we non-musical students were forced to pick up an instrument and try to get a sound out of it; easier said than done. I had new respect for the school's band. To this day, recorders and flutes and I don't get along. But my Gypsy and I are becoming pretty good friends. I have found it fairly easy so far, and have picked up some amazing classical chord progressions, scales, strumming, and even a half-decent sounding song. I stopped playing around late summer when things started to get a little hectic (aka. too much partying) and just picked it up yesterday....and lo and behold!

That awful F-chord came a lot easier (guitarists out there know exactly what I'm talking about..argghh! F!) and so did some special Flamenco-style strumming. Though far from concert quality sound, this confirms (again) that sometimes, after ruthlessly practicing a skill for weeks (and maybe months) you just have to stop, step away for awhile (but not so long that you forget everything you've learned) and come back with a clear head.

Certainly true when learning choreography, as my fellow dancers will attest. In my spinning workshops, I always allow for several rest periods along the way, and everyone will always do better the second time around. I'm certain there's a neurological explanation for this, and while I'm happy to go away and research this phenomenon, I want to go and play my guitar some more. :o)


*In mid-October, I decided I needed to start a blog & website. I had a complete phased-out step plan and sitemap, and a functioning website in three days, and went live to the world on November 1st, 2012.

Comments

Popular Posts