Salsa Scene Pet Peeves (Part 2)

Where has 2012 gone? Time really does fly when you're having fun :o) This week I continue my list of funny and annoying things I see and experience on the dance floor:

Girl Pet Peeves

The Drunk Chica: Again, we've all seen her. Most likely a beginner dancer that has sunk two (or 22) glasses of wine to give her a little "courage" to get on the dance floor. The lack of co-ordination and difficulty executing a single turn make for interesting entertainment...as long as nobody gets hurt. I feel sorry for the guy that has to maintain control of her in for the entire length of the song...because it's not polite to ditch a dance in the middle of the song!

The Know-it-All: This actually happened to me once during a performance at a private party: a young Dominican lady came onto the dance floor and arrogantly announced "I'm Latina, I can salsa", then placed herself between my partner and I and the audience, making the performance completely pointless! I quietly danced off the floor as my partner kindly indulged her with a dance...she couldn't follow along if her life depended on it. When they were finished, we restarted our performance. Ha. Long story short: your heritage doesn't automatically bestow dancing abilities upon you (that take the average person years to develop).

Guy Pet Peeves

The Snob: This could very well be a guy or girl, but you know the type that looks you up and down after you approach them for a dance? After this initial round of pre-judging (which I have experienced so many times) and deciding that I was a good enough option to dance with at the time, I enjoy the satisfaction of them saying to me afterward, "You're such an amazing dancer. Where are you from?" I quietly high-five myself as I stroll around looking for my next victim. I mean partner.

The Bad DJ: Again, this could be a guy or girl, but nothing is worse than a DJ that doesn't let the song play all the way to the end...thus causing dancers to miss out on one of the most fabulous part of a dance: the final dip! Particularly with songs that have a great dramatic ending. To me, the dance isn't over until the final dip is done...it's just so anti-climatic!

Next week: For the ladies, an amazing DIY eye makeup remover that I've been testing for the past few weeks and it gets my thumbs up!





Comments

Popular Posts