Competition Fever!

As I've said before, I'm typically not a competitive person. From childhood, I've never felt the need to prove my abilities; I always knew that my skill at whatever I was doing would show itself, and I didn't need the spectacle of a competition. I was never a sore loser, didn't care too much about winning at sports (despite a duffel bag full of trophies, medals, ribbons and certificates for essay writing, art, track & field, cross country, Tae Kwon-Do, and Iaido). I always just seemed to be in a position to compete and win. My coaches and trainers always decided to put me to the test, and me reluctantly agreeing. Nevertheless, if it weren't for them, I probably wouldn't have that duffel bag to this day. I hated being the center of attention, and being put on display.

Until Salsa came along.

I sunk my teeth into it right from the beginning. Over the years, it has become somewhat of an obsession (admittedly), as I trained and improved (and still training and improving) and gain confidence by the minute, people began to suggest that I enter a Salsa competition overseas. Knowing the cut throat competitiveness of the dance world, and me despising anything that is judged on aesthetics, I always brush off those suggestions and add it to my "to do" list for my next life.

So, as the Universe would have it, shortly after returning with my silver medal from Orlando, a colleague at work told me about auditions for a dance competition. I doubted they would allow both amateurs and professionals to compete together, not only that, but I refused to be judged alongside a bunch of prepubescent ballerinas. But as I gathered more information about the competition - it was open to all dance styles and ages - I knew I needed convince a partner to enter!

And that I did. We banged together a quick salsa routine, wowed the judges, and made it to the finals. With one month between auditions and the final show, we tweaked the routine, added lots of extra spins, musicality and acting. I could not believe what I was doing. Teresa Whitter just doesn't compete for anything. Ever. Yet here I was. I don't think I would have followed through with it, unless I knew I had a chance of being successful. The stakes were pretty high: $3000 for first place, $1000 for second place, $500 for third place, and $100 to all other competitors.

Competition night, June 2nd, 2013, was interesting. This was the first time we saw the other contestants practing. I'm pretty sure my partner and I were the oldest there...we were giants in a sea of teenagers. Hmm. Unfazed, I did hair and makeup, and the kids were in awe of my black and rhinestone costume, and remarked at how "professional" I was. I chuckled. I wasn't playing around. It's go hard or go home for me. There was one other couple dancing salsa, and the rest of the performances were contemporary, hip hop, jazz or tumbling.

We were very near the end, and we gave it everything. The judges had some great feedback and the audience and other dancers loved it. After an agonizing wait through all the promotional stuff, door prize and raffle draws, and a LOT of talking, we finally made it to the results and awards. Three beautiful crystal trophies rested at the front of the stage, and I wondered if one of those were for us. Our friends and family were in the audience, and some had made glittered signs in support. We couldn't let them down!

Third place was announced, and my heart was in my throat. I scanned the other dances and wondered who could have impressed the judges more than us? Second place was announced, and I found myself spinning forward to take a bow. Second place! I had to keep myself from jumping up and down! I was already thinking about how to spend my share of the prize money. (It eventually jump-started my savings for a car, which I purchased exactly a month later.) Another competition! Another win! Although, only three of the four judges were actually professionals in the field of dance or entertainment. The first place contest did an encore of his pop & locking hip-hop-y routine. Looking on, I admired his talent and showmanship, and was already planning a comeback, since he wasn't allowed to enter again the following year.

Needless to say, I was over the moon for a week after the competition. This was an amazing addition to my dance résumé. I was thrilled! Though the prep was a lot of work, I would definitely do it again. It gave me yet another confidence boost, but I was definitely done with competitions for awhile!

Comments

Popular Posts