IHSC Chronicles: Day 4

I can't believe it's been two months since my escapades in Orlando at IHSC and I'm still writing about it! *smile* Well, there's just so much going on at the moment, which will make for more interesting posts in the future.

So, Day 4 of IHSC, Saturday. The weekend is seriously heating up! Besides the 80-plus degree weather. Saturday held all of the professional division heats and finals, workshops, dinner show, performances, a separate production show, and of course social dancing!

I still found it amusing to see competitors, young and old, made up and glitzed up to the max at ten in the morning in preparation for competition. And they would stay that way all day, as many of them had entered more than one division. Hilarious.

I took very amusing workshop with Jameson Kilburn of Philadelphia, where he explained the nuances of hustle technique while teaching a basic hustle pattern...with interjections of humour and innuendo...it's amazing we got anything done, as the class of 30+ was constantly paralyzed by giggles. A great workshop, a great instructor, a great social dancer, and later I saw a great performer. And honestly, very rarely I see that combination in a dancer, as very evident by the Jack & Jill competiton the next day. More on that in another post.

The evening started with another elegant dinner and a stunning production show featuring a huge variety of social dances. This was the professional salsa competition finals as well, which of course is always my favourite division to watch. I remember my favourite couple not winning however :(

The night was made even sweeter by some fellow Bermudian dancers who were also in town for the weekend. I also reconnected with a few others I had met several years ago at another event in Orlando. It was another great night, which I tucked in early (pre-3am) since my Jack and Jill Competition was due to start at 10am the next day! Oh dur!

Comments

Popular Posts