Plié, Stretch, Point: From a Bermudian SalsaGoddess to Struggling Beginner Ballet Dancer

So, I got the brilliant idea to dive back into ballet classes about a month ago, after having done short courses at a few local dance schools. But this time I'm determined to take 2-3 ballet classes a week for the foreseeable future. Why? You ask.

Let me lead with a disclaimer that I am not a ballerina, I did two classes at age 5 and hated it, I don't have the 'ideal' body or feet for it (I'm not 5'8", 100 lbs with long legs and high arches), I have a hard time maintaining a decent turnout and straight legs, and I want to pinch the teacher every time she yanks my knee open further during pique, causing major jabs of pain in my hip joints (getting that checked out next week, don't worry). I can't hold my leg much higher than 90 degrees during arabesque, and I often feel like a bewildered elephant hopping around in the back of the class during glissades, assemblés, changements and the like. It doesn't help that, as someone who is used to repetition, you get two chances (maybe) to execute a technique or combination, then its on to the next challenge. Luckily, I'm not completely new to ballet, so I'm aware of most of the fundamental techniques, otherwise I would be just totally lost in space.

Yet, after three hours a week of maintaining an unnaturally erect, straight-legged posture and many hot showers to wash away the muscle soreness, I can ascertain that in the space of a month, ballet has helped my salsa and hustle dancing quite a bit. Yes, I complain about feeling uncoordinated, heavy and generally clumsy, but I'm pretty sure that's not how I appear to others. Yes, I complain about feeling totally lost and feeble, like the lone weakling at the back of the pack. And yes, despite the moniker "SalsaGoddess", this teacher is (again) the student. But there is one thing I can do with little effort: turns! Pique. chaine, you name it! Thanks, salsa ;-) It's my favourite part of the class. When the teacher's instruction to gather in one corner of the room on a diagonal is met with groans and protests, I happily skip in place near the front. At least I can be of some help to the others, despite how minimal. And to my surprise, I am one of the youngest participants in all three classes.

I've always been a believer in cross-training: practicing the skills and techniques of one activity in order improve performance in another. Whether sports or dance, cross-training works! In the few short weeks I have been painfully sweating it out in class, I feel a renewed awareness of my center, improved balance and strength in my legs and feet. I'm constantly aware of the muscles needed to engage the core, to provide stability during turns. It does help to have a teacher yell at you every two seconds to remind you to "pull up". Chin up, shoulders relaxed, upper back engaged...all help to maintain an ideal posture for partner dancing. Even all the ridiculous prancing, hopping and jumping has its benefits: ensuring you stay light and agile on the balls of your feet goes a long way during a fast, unpredictable salsa dance.

It was during a particularly difficult class this week when I suddenly thought that this must be how many beginning salsa dancers feel...overwhelmed, clumsy and as graceful as a bull in a crystal shop. Ballet has been a gentle reminder to me to maintain compassion, understanding and patience for students with less natural movement ability. Ballet is as far from natural to me as it gets; polar opposite from salsa in fact, yet both dances require many of the same skills.

So, while I probably won't ever experience dancing en pointe or be able to grande battement over my head, but the strength, stability and  flexibility that I have gained and transferred to salsa dancing so far is more than enough motivation to continue.I encourage every dancer to try a few classes in a different style or dance, be it hip hop, country western, Tango, hustle, ballroom....the list is endless! Don't be afraid to feel like a beginner again...it's humbling and a little scary, but really the only way to go is up.

Comments

Popular Posts