5 Things I Learned in 2017

2017 is well over, my birthday has passed, our epic month-long Eastern European holiday is done, and it's an inevitable fact of human nature that we reflect on the year gone by. It's been an amazing year and of course I have high hopes for 2018. 15th December 2017 marks my second full year in London, but what makes this year so special that I'm blogging about it? Nothing really :) Just a few things that I've learned/realised/reinforced in 2017. So if you're a little bored, or just curious, keep reading...

If they get in your, just give them this look... (Ljubana,
Slovenia with the Ljubana Castle in the background)
❖ Maybe it's life in a huge fast-paced city, but I've definitely lost a few patience points and won't hesitate to play "chicken" with people walking on the street and staring at their mobiles. (Thumbs up if you know what the game of "chicken" is ;-)


❖ Regardless of what you want, the Universe always gives you what you need to keep you on track with you goals. Although this has been a firm belief of mine for years, this year in particular, I've realised that the more I internalise this, the more things seem to work out in my favour. So when things just aren't working out, it's not rejection, but redirection...the Universe is just giving you the kick in the pants that you need to put you on your path to something greater.

The path ahead may be foggy, but the Universe got your back!
(Snowpark Krvavec, Slovenia)



❖ No matter how crappy a situation is, there's always something to be learned from it...always. Sounds cliché, but it's true...and once you see the light, the situation doesn't seem so bad anymore...maybe even laugh at it a little!


❖ People will question your choices, call you names, judge you and criticise you, but remain firm in your purpose and all that will wash off like water down a duck's back.








Just let it go...

❖ The segregation of Crossbody and Cuban Salsa dancers in London is so disappointing! In my beginner days in the '00s, we learned both styles, combined them and called it "Bermy Style Salsa": a mix of LA and Cuban...I didn't even know there were different styles! (Pardon my beginner ignorance 13 years ago) Nobody cared...we just wanted to dance. It made us all really versatile dancers, by being able to lead and follow any style. But here, the Crossbody people gripe dancing with Cuban people for fear of having an arm ripped off, and the Cubans gripe about dancing with Crossbody people because they're "too technical and complicated and there's too much spinning". So rather than argue about it or anything else, let it go...because I usually value my friendships more than I value winning an argument!

Comments

Popular Posts