IHSC Chronicles: Day 1

I'm dusting the cobwebs off my blog (thanks to Rockfire Bermuda and other projects for keeping me away from QQS...no hard feelings...its all good) to bring you some funny/interesting/inspiring tidbits from my recent experience at the International Hustle and Salsa Competition in Orlando, Florida, April 11-14th 2013. This event always lost out to competition from the Montreal Salsa Convention which has been historically held during the same month until recent years, but this year I decided that I was going to venture South for IHSC.

Judging from the schedule of competitions, mid-day social dancing, pool parties, dinners and workshops, I knew this wasn't going to be like a typical "congress"...but that's okay. I hopped on Delta with only one expectation: that my feet would be swollen for days from the constant abuse!

The event featured Pro Am, Amateur and Jack & Jill competitions in Salsa, Hustle and West Coast Swing. Plenty of opportunities for social dancing (even between competition rounds), fancy dinners, a live band and even a production show. Overall, I was impressed by the quality, organization and range of attendees at IHSC.

So, over the next week I'll share some of the hilariousness I encountered (some of you already know about Jimmy). Smile.

Day 1 | Wednesday:

Not much to say here...after delays connecting via NYC to Orlando, my flight arrived much later than scheduled, so I crashed into the comfy bed of my suite and gave the pre-welcome party a miss. But before that, from my patio I watched the screaming people on the theme-park like rides next to my hotel; I had an unobstructed view of the "Sling Shot", a device that shoots the riders far up in the air (like a sling shot) and brings them back down. Interesting. My hotel was right next to an entertainment/shopping village called Old Town...plenty to do for a day if you're trying to avoid the crowds at Disney.

Comments

Popular Posts