Back to the Barre

This marks the end of my first week in ballet class (again...I've dabbled in classes from all over the island already), and the soreness has gone away just long enough to be able to sit down without wincing at the shooting pain in my quadriceps and hips before I'm back at the barre tomorrow. It didn't help that I also beefed up my regular workout with some P90X "Ab Ripper X" sessions this week too.

For those that know me, you know I'm no ballerina. I took classes when I was 5 (still haunted by that little pink duffel bag that my mom kept my leotard, shoes and tights in) but quit because I hated it. Probably too girly for me at the time...I don't think I ever fully grow out of my occasional tomboy ways. Thanks, big brothers :-P

So, I never had the "traditional" dance background that many pro Latin dancers today have. And while there is absolutely nothing wrong with that (in fact, I think my dancing is unique, earthy, and as a result) I'll admit that I've had to work harder at pointing and "turning out" when it would come naturally  to someone with a lifetime of classical training. But...that's okay.

Even though I feel like a drunken elephant in class sometimes, I'm loving the challenge, and I'm even more flexible, agile and balanced as a result. Ballet technique has certainly helped my dancing in the past (particularly Argentine Tango) and there's something to be said about always feeling centered and balanced during a fast, wild salsa dance!

All this to say that cross-training really does help develop weaker areas in your primary activity by utilising the strengths of another activity. And since for me, 2013 is the year to bring it, this won't be the last time you'll hear me complain about sore body parts. Just ignore it, get yourself into a ballet class, and see what I'm talking about :o)

Comments

Popular Posts